Monday, September 22, 2008

Sausalito

My sister Laura and I went to Sausalito last weekend. Laura started out with a mani/pedi at our favorite place (which also happens to be about 500 yards from my office), and then picked me up. We drove up through San Francisco, over the Golden Gate bridge, and took the first exit east to downtown. Even though it was overcast and drizzling, we were delighted with the beautiful sailboats and the charming mainstreet.


We found our bed & breakfast was in the heart of downtown. We checked into the very lovely Gables Inn. We had a 2-bedroom Suite "The Spruce Room":


I took a ridiculously hot bath before we went to our dinner reservation at The Spinnaker, where I ordered Sea Bass with mango & strawberry salsa. It was delicious. Laura ordered a very rich, heavy mahi with crab & brie. Wow.

We then returned early to talk late into the night (not that late) and slept a LONG while.

The next morning was a little frazzled as we found out that I had an allergic reaction to some cleaning agent / laundry / potpourri (SOMETHING) in the bed & breakfast. We had to (sadly) check out early as I was not feeling well. Luckily, it was all resolved in time for us to eat lunch at the Sausalito Bakery & Cafe. We shared a Tuna Melt and bowl of fruit before enjoying downtown window shopping & ice cream for the rest of the afternoon.


My mother was so good to help us find a reservation at the Four Seasons in Palo Alto for that night (so that we wouldn't have to cut our vacation short), and the price was half of what the B&B was, so we wrapped up our shopping and headed back to the Peninsula.

We returned crossing the Golden Gate Bridge (I took this from my iPhone)

We stopped in Menlo Park to eat dinner at Cafe Borrone and buy books at Kepler's (I splurged), and then checked into the Four Seasons.

We finished the evening snacking on the cheese, grapes, thinly sliced salami, bread & honeycomb, berries, and ginger ale we ordered from Room Service. Laura read Cold Comfort Farm, I read Thirst by Mary Oliver, and I took a golden bath (using the glittery gold bath melt from LUSH).

I'm ready for my next vacation.

4 comments:

Mrs. Ordinary said...

All my tension went away just *reading* about your glorious vacation. I can only imagine how it must have really been. PS Thanks for opening up the comments.

Melanie said...

Wow, that sounds amazing!! I am just drooling at the thought of all that food and a nice bath! I'm glad you opened up the comments too!

elizabeth said...

jealous - can I come next time?

Unknown said...

You do know how to vacation!!!