Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tom Ka Gai (Thai Chicken Cocount Soup)

I started making this when I was in college. I merged basically two recipes (one from Joy of Cooking and one from a Thai restaurant my father likes in the City). It has elements that are not authentic (such as jalapeno), but, frankly, I love the flavor, so I recommend using it anyway! This is one of my favorite soups.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups coconut milk
1-1.2 lbs. chicken
1/2 lb. straw mushrooms (substitute button optional)
1 oz. ginger, sliced
1 oz. fresh lemongrass (optional)
3 jalapenos, seeded, sliced
1/3 c. lime juice
3 Tablespoons Thai Fish Sauce
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1 Tablespoon Thai Chile Sauce

Directions:
Bring coconut and 1 cup of water to a boil. Add ginger, jalapenos, lemongrass, and cook at medium heat for a few minutes. Add chicken, salt, fish sauce, sugar, parsley, and lime juice. Cook until chicken is done. Throw mushrooms in, remove from heat - serve immediately. Add chili totaste. Serves 4.

Note: It really does only serve 4. It makes a very small batch.

No comments: