Monday, August 14, 2006

The Melville House

Here in California, There are many things I love about my house.

First of all, it's a hundred years old and it's full of crown moulding, hardwood floors, white walls, and sunlight. It's shaded and surrounded by trees and all other sorts of greenery. There are lovely doors, diamond-paned windows, and little details I find charming.

In the Living Room, we have a living work of art. We could (and often do) sit here all day simply looking outside.

Even before you step into the Dining Room, you can see our china cupboard:

Throughout the room there is simple wainscoting and beautiful garden wallpaper.













We have a moderately sized solid wood round table right by the window. My next project is recovering them in a delightful stripe. The table and chairs are a highly prized find from craigslist. Black finish with wide North Carolina chairs. I love sitting there in the morning.

The Mud Room exits out the back but also gives access to the laundry and powder rooms as well as a half sink.














The kitchen is perhaps my favorite room in that we have bright red dishtowels, light blue tiled counters, colorful bowls, and spices shelved throughout. I have some great tin canisters in bright colors (orange/yellow and green/blue) as well as my beloved toaster and food scale.

Also making the kitchen a colorful and cheerful place is my magnet collection.








But perhap my most favorite thing about the kitchen are the lizards that greet me as I come through the doorway.

3 comments:

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

I love old homes - post more pictures!

Ekta said...

hey...happened to reach ur blog and ur house quite interested me..do post more pictures..it looks lovely

Sam said...

SO excited to see this place.