Monday, June 12, 2006

Enthusiasm, Gratitude, and Smiling

I read this quote today:

"My husband and I took our grandson to lunch for his fourth birthday. After lunch, we buckled him in the backseat for the drive home. In the front seat, we began to discuss the schedule of the day, but I heard this four-year-old talking to himself. He was saying over and over, "I am such a lucky boy. I am such a lucky boy." He was expressing his joy to anyone who would listen." ( Living Happily Ever After - Coleen K. Menlove)

I loved this story! First of all, I love that the child was so pleased and grateful for his birthday excursion. But secondly, I love that he was murmuring it to himself over and over again - so that he would not forget it. He wanted to savor his happiness - hold onto it - relish it.

It is so easy to focus on our sources of discontent - that we may remove them, improve, progress, and make great changes. However, we should express our joy - savor it - in the wonderful experiences and blessings we enjoy. We should smile and laugh and love the wonderful and beautiful things, experiences, and people that we know in life!

No comments: