Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Remember Lot's Wife

My roommate of bygone years wrote a blog post on remembering Lot's wife and not looking back. The many comments by the readers were (as usual) inspiring and some of their comments reaffirmed something that I have been thinking about lately, which is that

God is always forward looking.

I think that’s how He tries to coach our thinking, our attitudes, and transform us. Rather than fret and fester over the past, move on and do better.

We see a great example of this in the story of Cain and Abel. When Cain’s offering is not accepted (Genesis 4), Cain ‘was very wroth and his countenance fell.’ Basically he got depressed, angry, and was sulking.

And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted?
Cain proceeds to give up trying to please God in spite of God's encouragement. I find that God's initial response to Cain is pretty consistent when I think about the things He says to me when I pray. It is always one of the following:
1. I love you. Thanks for praying.
2. You’re right, you shouldn’t have done that. Put it behind you.
3. Do this. (I can help you, just ask)
4. {Insert doctrine here}

He never says:
1. What took you so long. You never pray consistently.
2. I can’t believe you did that again.

I think the best record we have of conversations with God is found in Doctrine & Covenants. One of my favorite passages is a great case:

For, behold, you should not have feared man more than God. Although men set at naught the counsels of God, and despise his words— Yet you should have been faithful; and he would have extended his arm and supported you against all the fiery darts of the adversary; and he would have been with you in every time of trouble. ..if thou art not aware thou wilt fall. But remember, God is merciful; therefore, repent … and thou art still chosen. (Doctrine & Covenants 3:7-10)

If that isn’t forward looking I don’t know what is.

2 comments:

Whits said...

Thanks for this. When I think of Cain, I also think of someone who had a flagrant disregard for God's commandments. He knew that his offering was offensive to God but still offered it. That scripture helps me realize that even when we blantantly disregard commandments (although we still must repent), God will still encourage us to move on. (and I think Cain was sulking not because he truly felt bad for what he did but for show).

mcampbell said...

I loved this. You are wise, KT. Bisous.