Friday, January 12, 2007

As honey for sweetness

And [the angel] said unto me, son of man, cause thy belly to eat, and fill thy bowels with this roll that I give thee. Then did I eat it; and it was in my mouth as honey for sweetness. Ezekiel 3:3

What a beautiful image! Before Ezekiel could go preach to Israel, he had to eat of the word of God. He had to study the scriptures. I love the description of the taste - "as honey for sweetness." It reminds me of the tree of life in Lehi's / Nephi's vision. Both the sweetness of the scriptures, as described by Ezekiel, and the sweetness of the tree of life, from Lehi's vision, are sweetened by the only thing that satisfies: the love of God.

We must eat and fill ourselves with the scriptures we have been given. The sweetness of the scriptures will nourish us when we are weary. They will "satisfy thy soul in drought and make fat thy bones: and thou shalt be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters fail not." (Isaiah 58:11)

No comments: