I've been trying to figure out exactly what this quote means. Oscar Wilde alternates between the profound and the incisive, so it's hard to judge solely by author. My brother thought it quite humorous, and yet I find it quite bittersweet.
I guess what I find rather pathetic is the thought of the things one will do when told what one wants to hear. Or the lengths one will go to to believe it, even when the rationale for trust is gone. Whether it is devotion or delusion, it's just rather sad.
5 comments:
The good ended happily, and the bad unhappily. That is what fiction means.
hehehe. I love that quote!
Devotion or delusion, don't you think it's better to have something to dream about than nothing at all?
It's not even necessarily dreaming. I think there is something quite lovely in the devotion aspect of it. The idea that if asked, we will wait - even if it be "all my life" ...
Mmm, Oscar Wilde is so clever..he never disappoints. Lovely quote.
Post a Comment